We all have eaten khichdi during our growing up years. It was the comfort food that our mothers would cook for us. Every home has its own way of making this comfort food. Some make it with just dal (lentils) and rice while some like to add some veggies to khichdi. Whichever way you prefer, the results are always delicious.
Khichdi is the first food that we introduce to babies. It’s easy to cook, full of a protein one-pot meal. Food to be eaten when you are recovering from illness and still getting back your taste buds. When you are out of ingredients this is the first dish that comes to the mind.
However, masala khichdi has come a long way. Almost every next Indian chef is twisting the simple dish, adding new flavors, and turning it into something exotic.
This is my version of traditional masala khichdi which consists of Toor daal, Masoor daal, and Rice. You can choose any daal you like and enjoy this when you crave a warm bowl of comfort food to satisfy your craving.
Do try other similar recipes :
Preparation Time: 20mins ∏ Cooking Time: 30mins ∏ Servings: 3-4 person
Level: Beginners (Easy) ∏ Measurement: 1 Cup ≡ 250 ml ≡ 250gm
For First Tadka
For Second Tadka
How to make Masala Khichdi:
Step1: In a bowl add together toor dal, masoor dal, and rice and add water and wash it properly. Wash it 2-3 times and strain the water and then soak it for about 20 minutes in hot water.
- Instead of toor dal, you can also use green moong dal or urad dal.
- Adjust the amount of chilly as per your taste.
- You can also add veggies of your choice to this recipe.
- This recipe tends to soak up all the water, adjust water accordingly.
- Once it is cooled down it will get thick this is normal. Just add some water to adjust the consistency while heating up. It should come back to its normal consistency.